History of Lipsi island
This tiny island does not have a particularly relevant and interesting history having lived mostly in the shadow of the large nearby islands such as Patmos. The first community was established here around the sixth century BC following the colonization of the Aegean.
Lipsi town was built on the hill with his feet in a well protected port from which many ships found refuge during the Peloponnesian War. After the Hellenistic period while the neighboring islands were conquered by the Romans, Lipsi was not considered. The few inhabitants lead a simple life based on fishing and agriculture and were occasionally plundering by pirates.
Things begin to change with the advent of the Byzantine period, when the population starts to increase considerably and many Christian churches were built. In 1078 Lipsi becomes the property of San Cristodulo from Patmos and passed the next 500 under the hegemony of Patmos. Monks / farmers will use its massive fertility to approvigionare the Holy Island of Patmos. In 1523 was occupied by the Ottoman Empire, like the rest of the Dodecanese islands. But stayed under the protection of Patmos enjoing considerable privileges, released at the beginning of the War for Independence of Greece.
Then became an important refuge for the Greek population and its port was suppling and repairing ships of the national army. With the Treaty of Constantinople of 1832 passes back under Ottoman rule. Until 1912 when it was annexed to Italy during the years of Fascism and colonization of the entire Dodecanese. A new chapter of hope was open for the people even if they had to face with the idea of Italianization ordered by Mussolini. During World War II it was occupied by the Germans for almost two years. An occupation which, although short in comparison with the others, was very hard for the entire population. At the end of the war it became a protectorate of the British military as the rest of the Dodecanese islands, and was officially unified Greece March 7, 1948.